Tuesday 28 May 2019

Monasterevin, Kildare

A short cycle this evening to relax the legs took me through Monasterevin in Kildare.


I passed the Aquaduct that takes the Canal over the River Barrow.

Monasterevin Kildare

Then I took a few pictures of the 1798 United Irishmen Memorial Celtic Cross which remembers Father Prendergast who was hung in Monasterevin.

Monasterevin Father Prendergast memorial

It's only by taking a closer look that I got to appreciate the detail in the Memorial. The Hound and Harp are beautiful close up.

Monasterevin Kildare

Then I went into Moore Abbey built in the mid 1700's for the Earl of Drogheda. It is now the home of MuĂ­riosa Foundation and was a one time home of Count John McCormack, probably the world's best Tenor of his time, certainly one of the most famous. There's a link to a performance by McCormack at the bottom of this post.

Moore Abbey Monasterevin

His title "Count" was a Papal title and he was also Knighted by the Pope.

Monasterevin