Saturday, 8 August 2026

Baltray Stone Alignment, Louth

 Baltray Stone Alignment 
County Louth


On the north side of the Boyne estuary in County Louth is the Baltray Stone Alignment.

When I first enquired about the site I was led to believe it was of two standing stones, however after approaching it I thought it was probably a Stone alignment, a different kettle of fish altogether, if you will forgive my pedanticism.

For some reason it just struck me as such.

Baltray Standing Stones

I have since read that there was at least one more stone here which has long since since fallen and been subsumed by mother Earth. This I think makes more sense.

Baltray Standing Stones

There are various claims to the stones being aligned with the hill on which Four Knocks Passage Tomb stands or Rockabill Island off the Skerries coast.

I can neither confirm nor deny these claims however I always believed that Stone alignments were arranged in some pattern with a celestial purpose in mind although just why I've adopted this particular assumption I cannot recall.


Anyway, this pair of upright lithics are well worth visiting if for the sea views alone.
A quite panoramic setting indeed.

Baltray Standing Stones


Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones





Keep the wheels turning.

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones

Baltray Standing Stones