Friday 22 February 2019

Cycling in Laois

Cycling in Laois

 

Laois Cycling

Another short spin around Laois today saw probably more photography than actual cycling.

Laois Cycling

Heading out of Mountmellick Fisherstown was the first stop on the agenda. I wanted to get a couple of snaps of the lovely Fisherman's Thatched Inn.
Laois Cycling

Then it was up to nearby Vicarstown on the Grand Canal. I noticed that as well as boats and barges for hire they also have a place hiring out bicycles as well, good thinking there. There's a stretch along the canal all the way to the outskirts of Athy that's fully tarmac and a great family spin with very few cars about.

Laois Cycling

There's also lot's of cycling to do on a Gravel or MTB along the grassy banks of the Canal.

Laois Cycling
 
Coming back I stopped at Lea Church of Ireland near Killenard in Portarlington. A lot of the grave markers and headstones at the back are covered in Moss and Ivy but I noticed one which marked the resting place of a Naval Captain. I couldn't quite make out the full name but Loos was mentioned which was a First World War battle.

Laois Cycling

Then it was off onto the boreens before cycling into Emo Court along it's old "main" entrance which is unpaved and not used by cars. There's actually wooden bollards to keep cars out of this approach to the house.

Cycling Ireland

Out of Emo Court and then around and into Emo village I decided to stop and go into Saint Pauls Catholic Church to see the Effigy Tomb of Aline (Alexandrina), Wife of the Third Earl and Countess of Portarlington.


Cycling Ireland

I had been meaning to visit for a while so it was good timing as I met a nice gentleman inside who regaled me with a bit of local history.

Cycling Ireland
 
I've just added some random photo's from the cycle below. One of these days I'll have to leave the photography for another day and get on with the cycling.

Cycling Ireland


 It never ceases to amaze me how much we are surrounded by history in Laois.

Cycling Ireland

Cycling Ireland

Cycling Ireland

Cycling Ireland

Cycling in Ireland

Cycling in Ireland