Friday 15 February 2019

Clopook in Laois

Clopook and the Boreens

 

Clopook

I think the camera might have been overused today. A short cycle today took me from Mountmellick and out through Emo village and Coolbanagher near Emo Court and then over into Stradbally via Chicken Byrne hill.

Dun Of Clopook

I climbed the Windy Gap passing Oughaval on my right and descended by going left onto a boreen before emerging a while later further down back onto the N80.


Lime Kiln

Within moments I was off the N80 and back onto boreens heading through Clopook past the Hill Fort, through Timogue past two old Lime Kilns, Ratheniska past Dysart Enos 18th Century Church then back across the main road and up past the Rock of Dunamase via more boreens and into the Heath. 


Clopook

From the Heath it was boreens again and then past Shaen back to Mountmellick.


Lime Kiln,Laois

There's a recurring theme here ...... boreens.These byroads seem much safer than busy main roads and more often than not boreens and the road less travelled will reveal a hidden surprise to me.


Shane
 
On the short spin there was enough history and sights to keep me occupied for a day if I had the time to spare. 
 
Dysart Enos

Wheels can be expensive and I've broken what I consider  an expensive (to me) Campagnolo Zonda rear wheel once.

Clopook

My choice for general road use is now the Shimano RS 010. They're inexpensive and I think you could hit this wheel with a sledgehammer and it would still run straight and true.

Ratheniska

With a 20 second wheel swap I'm ready to hit the boreens, saving the good wheel for another day.

Timogue
 

A cycle along the byroads and boreens of Laois is generally nice and quiet with few cars to be seen. It's also thoroughly enjoyable and very scenic.


Lime Kiln