Saturday 29 June 2019

Limerick - Kerry Spin

In Limerick and Kerry recently for a Cycle. I managed to snap the rear gear cable but had a spare.
Unfortunately I couldn't see where to insert it into the STI lever so I just carried on without replacing it.

Adare Limerick

Cue a further 165 Kms with no gears. Luckily enough there weren't many hills but it was hard going into the wind and rain around Kerry.

Newcastle West

I met a friendly Horse at Askeaton Franciscan Friary in Limerick. I managed to visit Adare Castle and Castle Desmond in Newcastle West the previous day and passed Listowel Castle on the spin itself.

Adare

 I also visited Saint Nicholas Church of Ireland in Adare, a former Augustinian Friary founded in 1315. The cloisters are fully covered and beautiful while the whole building was very interesting to wander around.

Askeaton Limerick

Adare Franciscan Friary is a ruined building on Adare Golf course and they kindly gave me permission to visit the site, it's a beautiful old ruin, well worth visiting.

Adare

Adare Manor has 5 Ogham Stones located in the grounds but there was a function on so I couldn't gain access to view them which was a pity. Perhaps a reason to visit on another day.

Askeaton

There is also the lovely Trinitarian Church in Adare and a Columbarium.

Nearby Rathkeale also has an old ruined Abbey which I dropped in to see while in the area.

The famous Sophie Peirce, Irish Aviator and Sportswoman was from Newcastle West in Limerick and there is a commemorative Plaque in her memory in the local Square.